But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.
— 1 Corinthians 14:38
Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
— 1 Timothy 2:11
True or false:
- Men have hymens; women don’t.
- Women can lose their virginity from riding a bike.
- Women can drink alcohol to increase menstrual flow.
- Women can apply menstrual blood to their faces to prevent acne.
- Women can skip over three steps of stairs to shorten their period to three days.
If your answer for every statement is false, congratulations: You are smarter than the young Filipinas who participated in the Kotex BodyLife IQ Study.
But not that smart. After all, of the six countries that participated, Filipinas were the most “misinformed” (i.e., stupid).
26 percent believe #1 (that only men had hymen’s).
18 percent believe #2 (that a bike could ride them, too).
54 percent believe #3 (maybe thinking beer transforms into blood — that’s wine, duh).
38 percent believe #4 (perhaps thinking menstrual blood turns into new skin, replacing pimples — kind of like stem cells)
There was only one Filipina who believes #5 (skip steps to skip to the end of your period). I feel sorry for her. The rest of the girls must think she’s stupid and superstitious.
On a totally unrelated note, the Philippines is Asia’s largest Catholic nation, with its priests, bishops, and clergy continuing to wage war against the evil Reproductive Health Bill.