Posted on 17 November 2009.
Top 5 votes as of 11 am, Nov 18. 25 hours until voting ends.
Tomorrow is the last day of voting and turnout thus far has been quite low. And since we’re eager to get our other contests started, voting with not be extended for this one. If we don’t have enough votes by 24:00 tomorrow, the decision will be left entirely to the judges.
You can find the list of entries here, and you can vote for the entries you like by clicking the Vote link at the bottom.
Remember, prayers don’t win contests, votes do.
Posted in Announcements, Organization
Posted on 11 November 2009.
Well I finally got around to finalizing the entries to our very extended Essay Writing Contest, and the judges sure have their work cut out for them. We have 66 entries, listed in alphabetical order below, and while they’re an absolute delight to read through, the sheer volume of them is enough to make me wish I had made this a haiku writing contest.
But just who are these poor judges who have to read through each of them again and vote, you ask? Why, you of course!
That’s right folks, elections have come early and you get to help choose the winner of our first Essay Writing Contest. Here are the mechanics:
- Each of the articles below will display a “Vote” link at the bottom of the page. Click this link to cast a vote for the post.
- Registered users can vote for up to 15 articles, but must vote only once for each. Be honest; His Noodliness is watching.
- You have one week to vote, after which the top articles will be shortlisted for our first FF magazine publication.
- Editors will then vote for the winning article from the shortlist.
You are free to vote any way you feel, but we recommend the following criteria:
- Subject and Relevance (35 points) – subject matter must be of interest to readers, and must be relevant to freethought (optional: in the Philippine setting)
- Organization and Accuracy (25) – work must follow a central idea, and all facts stated must be accurate. i.e. avoid ranting, and cite sources when possible.
- Style and Soundness of reasoning (25) – work must be written in a manner that makes readers want to read on, and hopefully agree with your sentiment
- Overall coolness (15) – bonus points for blowing our minds.
Now get voting. There are no lesser evils here.
- A Scientific Bible? by pinoyatheist
- A Valuable Lesson by Ryan Tani
- According to Bacon by pinoyatheist
- An atheist learns from a dog by pinoyatheist
- Angels and Demons by igme
- Ashes to Ashes…dust to dust. by pinoyatheist
- Atheistic Spirituality by pinoyatheist
- Belief, non-belief, and homosexuality by f241vc15
- Book Review : The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution by wes
- Brainwashing with consent by pinoyatheist
- Can you justify by mere faith? by pinoyatheist
- Children’s Choice by igme
- Chiz’s “pasang awa” project gets failing grade by Ryan Tani
- Congressmen Contra-RH Bill by Geri Villas
- Cory’s Legacy by wes
- Couple’s Choice by igme
- Creating “Creations” by pinoyatheist
- Devastated by Ondoy? Congrats: You just passed Calculus! by Ryan Tani
- Diet for Christians: Less Spam, More Meat by Ryan Tani
- Does God Exist? Video Campaign — Refuted by Geri Villas
- Elizabeth Cady Stanton by Wella
- Faithful Dad, Faithless Dad by Ryan Tani
- Falling In Love: The Physics Of Attraction by f241vc15
- Fear of Meeting ff Folks by AnnThrop
- Forsaken by Sathepine
- Free Thinkers Political Watch Out by justinaquino
- Freethinkers in the Philippines? by pinoyatheist
- Freethought Poetry: Mothers by f241vc15
- Ghosts by Tania Arpa
- How to Oppose the RH Bill by Geri Villas
- I Just Want Him Safe by Sathepine
- I Killed My Guardian Angel – Is That OK? by yodz
- Is Writing Rationally Irrational? by wes
- Jesus and the Fig Tree by pinoyatheist
- Judas, the Traitor? by igme
- Just Like Rabbits by pinoyatheist
- L2MF Post #02: On Courage, Industry, and Honesty by InfoLibertarian
- L2MF Post #03: On Church Offerings and Charitable Donations by InfoLibertarian
- Letters to My Father, Post #01 by InfoLibertarian
- Liars and Friars by Ryan Tani
- Of things concerning rock, paper, scissors, and other weapons by f241vc15
- On Religion and Tolerance by pinoyatheist
- On the Church’s NFP-only stance: The case of Texas by Twin-Skies
- Philippine Historians’ Dilemma: What is Philippine Culture? by justinaquino
- Review: Spring Awakening by wes
- Sacrifice by igme
- Sina B1 at B2: A conversation on contraception by Ryan Tani
- Societal Health: the More Heathenly, the More Heavenly by Ryan Tani
- Sorry guys, I’m reconverting… by f241vc15
- Spare the Rod and SAVE the Child by Ryan Tani
- Spiritual Enlightenment by Gerard Baula
- The Birds and the Bees and the Hymens and the Mens by Ryan Tani
- The Boss by innerminds
- The Flaws of Science (?) by Harmless
- The Problem with Superstitions. by pinoyatheist
- The Theocracy Of Ed Panlilio by Geri Villas
- Time and Life by innerminds
- Towards healthier skepticism: Correlation does not imply causation by f241vc15
- Viral Religion by Archer
- We need more Catholics like this… by Twin-Skies
- What The Faith — The Baldy, the Babes, and the Bears by Ryan Tani
- When Death Hangs Above Your Head by pinoyatheist
- Why People Worship Money by innerminds
- Why volunteer? by Tania Arpa
- Will to be Whole by Sathepine
- Would You Like A Secular Philippines? by Benj
Note: A few of them might not be essays, but have been included as entries nontheless. If you have submissions that are not listed, please leave a comment and we will update the list.
Posted in Announcements, Organization